Pages

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Maybelline CLEAN EXPRESS! Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Review

Today I would like to introduce to you one of my many recent new finds at the drugstore - a new eye makeup remover by Maybelline! The brand has offered eye makeup removers for many years now, but personally I have never paid much attention to them, because they've been around for so long it's not promoted much anymore, it is always housed at the very bottom of the Maybelline wall displays, and most importantly, I already have a couple makeup removers that I am very content with.

However, when this new one came along I found it in Wal-Mart in one of those small cardboard displays that most new products are first introduced in at drugstores. (The have now been moved to the permanent display, as of 3 days ago) The shape and colour of the bottle first caught my attention...The oval cylinder shape of the bottle was slim and compact, and (most importantly) it was PINK! How cute is that? :) It wasn't price-tagged at the time but when I was rung up at the registered it was only $4.96 + tax, and I had a "what a steal!" moment.



It claims to have a "QuickBreak Technology", to be "Ultra-Gentle - Express-removes even waterproof mascara", and is an oil-free water proof eye makeup remover. The bottle contains 120mL (4.0 fl. oz.) of product, which runs a little under the typical 150mL mark for most other drugstore eye makeup remover, but don't forget its low price point!

On the back it says the following:
"Shake to activate dual phase formula. First phase instantly breaks up stubborn makeup, even waterproof mascara, while the second washes it clean...Because of its quick dissolving powever, no harsh rubbing is necessary. Oil-free, the formula leaves no greasy residue."

A look at the opening of the bottle.


Sounds like a dream but how did it actually perform?

After using this remover for the past 3 weeks, I am now ready to share my thoughts with you :) I agree wholeheartedly with its claims of being ultra-gentle. I have not experienced any burning or stinging sensations near or on my eye when using it to take off my eye makeup. There is, indeed, no feeling of greasy residue, or any residue for that matter, after I finish using it. It also leaves the eye area with a feeling of being slightly hydrated.

Unfortunately, this product falls short of its "Quick-Break Action" claim. First, I do not wear waterproof mascara, so when I got this product I expected it to perform quite well for taking off my non-waterproof mascara since it's suppose to take off waterproof ones with ease. But nope, even after soaking my lashes with this for 30 seconds on the cotton pad, it takes a little too much extra rubbing to get all my mascara off than I would like for my already-kind-of sparse lashes. I really don't need more to fall out everytime I take off the makeup. to be honest, the remover is really good at removing all the eyeshadow in one swipe, and the eyeliners come off in a little more than 2 swipes. So if you happen to be one of those girls who don't wear mascara regularly, this is likely a great product for you to try, and it won't break the bank.

Overall, it's not a bad remover, and I will continue using it to take off my eyeshadows and liners. But I will defer back to my baby oil to take off my mascara to minimize the rubbing and tugging.

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for more reviews on my other recent drugstore new product finds!

Joanne

2 comments:

  1. You got it for so cheap! My Calgary Walmart was charging around $7!

    xohuynh.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I wonder if mine was priced wrong now...because I noticed the wipes and the remover lotion were both priced at around $7. I'm 100% positive I only paid $5 because that happened to be the only item I bought that day. Perhaps I will check again next time I head to Wal-Mart :)

      Delete