Pages

Monday 13 May 2013

TOPBOX May 2013 - Open Box Time!


It's time to talk about the May 2013 Topbox! This month I actually had no time to check out any sneak peaks of products other people have received because the shipping time for this box was insanely fast.


The email from Topbox with the tracking number for my box was received at 7:30am, which I did not read until 10am, and at 12:25pm I received the delivery notice from Canada Post! I was pretty shocked at the speed!


And then of course I procrastinate about preparing this post until after the weekend... :( I am trying my best to be regular with these posts! I opted (once again!) for the Regular TopBox, because similarly to the previous months, the Prive Boxes just did not appeal to me. Besides, I enjoy being surprised by the products as opposed to knowing exactly what will come 2 weeks beforehand.

Here are what I received this month:

Cuccio Colour Nail Lacquer in Tel-Aviv About It!
Cuccio Colour Nail Lacquer - 13ml (0.43 Fl. Oz): "Triple pigmented colour, DBP, Toluene and Formaldehyde FREE, High Shine Professional Nail Colours. Full Size: $10". I am very pleased with the colour that I received, as this is a work-appropriate nude colour, with a hint of tan undertones, that I can definitely wear everyday! I haven't tried it out on my nails just yet, but the swatch on my nail wheel proved this to really be a pigmented polish. The colour applied very smooth, without streaks, and has excellent self-levelling abilities, indeed providing a very shiny finish. The fact that this is a 3-free company makes it even more appealing! Value: $10.00


Lise Watier Haute Couleur High Coverage Liq Lacquer in Stylelista
Lise Watier HAUTE COULEUR High Coverage Lip Lacquer - 1.5mL: "INtense Colour, Extreme Shine, Long Lasting. Full Size: $23 (6mL)". A nice sample from a local Canadian Company based in Quebec, well-repected for quality products. I am pleased with the size and presentation of this sample. Lise Watier is not one to capture attention with highly innovative products or outrageous packaging, but I personally do enjoy several of their colour cosmetics. This lip gloss is a nice berry colour, that is nicely pigmented. While I do not find this to be a particularly spring-y/summer-y shade, I do enjoy having colour selections like these in my collection for night-outs, or when the colder season rolls around. This sample comes with a doe foot applicator, which I enjoy for precise application. The texture of this lipgloss is more on the sticky side, and is not esepcially long lasting, but I enjoy the overall effect and will continue to use this. However, I doubt I will purchase a full size since it is pretty much a standard lip gloss, and I can get similar effect from a drugstore selection. Value: $5.75.

Yaby Eyeshadow in ES135 Green Delicious
Yaby Eyeshadow Refill - "Highly pigmented eyeshadow with super smooth texture that blends effortlessly. Professional eyeshadow palettes from $127." I had a bit of a dejavu moment when I took this item out of the box, and then I remembered...I received 2 eyeshadows samples just like this one from Yaby in my March 2013 Ipsy Bag! Well...it does seem like Ipsy is perhaps a bit more generous? Anyway, this green colour would not be something that I would reach for on a day-to-day basis, but it is definitely fun for adding a pop of colour every now and then for a day out in the sun with friends, relaxing from work! The Texture of this eyeshadow is smooth and pigmented, but doesn't $127 for a palette sound quite steep?? I think I will stick to shopping at Sephora, The Bay, and drugstores for my eyeshadows hehe :) Value: unknown.

Deborah Lippmann Smooth Operator Buffer File

Deborah Lippmann Smooth Operator Buffer File: "An ultra-modern 4 way nail buffer. Simply follow the 4 steps to give nails a clean, polished look in minutes. Retail Price: $12". I was pretty surprised to receive a nail buffer as a "sample", and to be quite honest, I didn't know what to think when I saw this. I wasn't excited by it, but I did not dislike it either, as I know that it is definitely something useful that I will make use out of. I believe this is simply a nail buffing block in the shape of a regular nail file. I like the idea, but practically it is hard to apply pressure on the nail for the buffing motion when I'm holding a flat popsicle stick. Being able to apply pressure is really important to getting that shiny buffed appearance. On the other hand, I am an absolute nail polish addict that I don't often go without polish on my fingertips, so I don't buff often at all (plus, buffing too much thins and weakens your nails). Not something I would readily dish out $12 for, but again, I am happy that this was included in my TopBox this month. Value: $12.00


Total Value of Box: $27.75 + unknown value of Yaby Eyeshadow

I think I enjoyed this month's TopBox a bit more than a couple of the previous ones. For one, I know that I will make good use of pretty much all of the products in this box! The value is not exceptional, but I don't think the money I've put into this monthly subscription has totally gone to waste. Overall, not bad! I look forward using these products and for next month's TopBox :)

If you are interested in joining TopBox for $12+tax per month and receiving your own monthly subscription, check out their website at www.topbox.ca (this is NOT an affilated link).

Disclaimer: Monthly subscription paid for with personal funds. This post and its contents are not sponsored in anyway, and all opinions are honest and personal.








1 comment:

  1. I opted for the regular box this month too. I'm quite happy with the Lise Watier lip gloss. Love the color.

    ReplyDelete